Disclaimer: We produce great food, but we aren’t doctors and this isn’t medical advice. Please consult your doctor with any specific health concerns.
Video games are awesome, but the hours on end of sitting can really take a toll on your body. Winning games is important, but not at the cost of your health. According to the Mayo Clinic, sitting all day is bad for you. The good news? There are exercises for gamers. Add these 10 easy exercises and stretches to your gamer workout and reduce the negative effects of sitting for so long.
1. Sit to stand - This exercise strengthens your core, an important muscle for sitting up straight. Sit at the edge of your chair or couch. Position your feet hip width apart, then stand up using only your legs. Remember to engage your core.
2. Ankle roll - Gamers aren’t on their feet a lot, but this is a great way to get all your nerves firing. Bring one foot off the ground and roll it in one direction. Now do the other direction. Then switch feet.
3. Thumb adductor - A real game changer. Thumbs are everything for gamers! Take one hand and put it palm up. With the other hand, go beneath and pull your thumb towards the ground.
4. Twisting from a neutral seated position - poor posture can hurt your back and your attitude. Sit up straight, then cross your hands on your chest or behind your back. Now twist everything from the hips up side to side.
5. Neck lateral flexion - Gamers spend a lot of time looking down at a screen. Give your neck some love. Drop your shoulders, gently reach up and pull your head down to the side, without moving it forward or backward. Repeat on both sides.
6. Cervical spine flexion - This stretch for gamers can reduce neck and back pain and help you stay focused. Drop your shoulders, try to give yourself a double chin, then place your hands on the back of your head and gently pull down.
7. Goblet squats - Give your glutes a boost and engage your core with this exercise. Feet a little wider than hip distance apart, hold your arms as if you were holding a goblet to your chest, Engage your core, keep your chest tall, and at the bottom of your squat, your elbows should be touching the inside of your knees.
8. Plank - A great overall body strength move that will keep your abs as sick as your play. Get into a pushup position, make sure your back is flat and your butt is in-line and isn’t sticking too far up or is sagging. Hold for 15 seconds and work up to 30 seconds.
9. Bird Dog - Another core exercise for gamers, this little move seems easy until you try it. It’s great for keeping your body aligned and balanced. Get on your hands and knees, stick one hand out in front of you while sticking out the opposite leg. Hold each side for 10 seconds then switch.
10. Glute bridge - You use your glutes all day in game play so make sure to keep them strong with this gamer workout. Lie on your back with your feet flat on the floor. Knees should be at about a 45-degree angle. Engage your core and bring your hips off the ground. Remember to breathe.
There you have it! Ten easy stretches and exercises for gamers. Add them to your gamer workout and reap the rewards. While you’re at it, keep your fitness alive with some good clean eating. Rez Bar anyone?